Wednesday, September 1, 2010

More Bondo and my son helps block-sand filler

Throughout the course of this project, I will do what I have learned in all the books and videos I’ve used to dip my toe into the world of bodywork: I will call any plastic body filler by the name Bondo. It’s like calling tissue Kleenex. But, I will not be using any Bondo-brand filler on my car. I will be using Evercoat Rage. I bought one quart and so far it is working great. I've been making 4" puddles of filler on my mixing board and then laying a single line of hardener along that puddle. The filler is kind of bluish-green, but sands to be a pale green. Here you can see a second application of filler over an area that had already received filler and been block-sanded.

This brings up today's purchase. (Actually, a purchase I made a few weeks ago, but am tabulating it in today.) I read a ton about all different types of tools to use for block sanding: There are paint sticks, pvc pipes, stiff cardcoard, and then actual blocks you have to buy ranging from the cheap to obscenely expensive. I thought a bit about getting these goofy flexible blocks since my car has curves, but opted for getting the 7 piece Durablock set. I've only read good things about Dura-blocks, and they are dirt-cheap on eBay. I waited for a deal and bought mine new for $50 shipped. Here you can see my 6-yr-old son James, who stopped by to check out the car, and gave a try at block sanding. If he behaves, he'll be getting this car when he turns 16. Maybe.

Block sanding the filler was really rather pleasant. It wasn't too hard to sand. I was using some left over 80 grit sanding substrate that my buddy had lying around his garage. They were these 24" 3M sanding disks that looked like window screen material caked with shiny black dust. The holes in the 'sandpaper' let the Bondo dust fall right through, and kept things from clogging. If I'd had to buy it, I could have done it with 5 sheets of 80 grit paper, for about $5. But I'm not going to count it since it was free. (Thanks, Jesse)

Once I'd gone over it with 80, and gotten it shaped just right, I went back over and re-blocked it with sandpaper. I didn't know how much I'd need, so I bought an entire roll of Indasa RhynoDry 2 3/4" x 25 meter 180 grit PSA paper. It was $15 for the roll at my paint shop. It's not quite as good as 3M, but is WAY cheaper. It has adhesive backing so it just sticks to the sanding blocks, after you've peeled off the wax paper backing.

After a few hours of Bondoing and Block-Sanding, I gave it a rest to strip the tape off the seams on the passenger side, and scrape that paint off too. It took 2 hours, and there is no longer any paint anywhere on the outside of the car. It is 100% stripped.

Time Today: 5 hours (paint removal 2, body-work 3)
Spent today: $65 ($50 Durablocks, $15 sandpaper)

No comments:

Post a Comment